PREMIUM

Akari removed from concert for allegedly assaulting teen

By Andrina Elvira Burkhart 08 July 2025, 9:30PM

A police investigation is underway following an alleged assault involving local artist Robyn Akari and an 18-year-old girl from New Zealand. The incident is believed to have occurred on Friday night, a day before the Samoa Vibes concert held on Saturday.

Sammy Atoa, the father of the young woman, confirmed the matter is being handled by police and said “evidence is substantial,” with claims that charges were expected to be laid as early as Wednesday.

He shared that his daughter had moved from Auckland to Samoa to connect with her roots, last year.

“She got her traditional tattoo (malu) as my soa, so without knowing that much of the Samoan language and culture, she took it upon herself to live in Samoa for a year to learn,” said Atoa.

According to him, the alleged assault took place while his daughter was out with her aunt, who had just arrived from Melbourne.

“She never goes out. She’s a quiet, respectful girl.”

Atoa said the artist accused his daughter of being at her table and stealing drinks, which he strongly denies.

“She even admitted on social media that she assaulted her to teach her a lesson for drinking on other people’s tables and accused her of stealing drinks, which is false.”

He added that the conflict may have been triggered by a question about his daughter touching Akari’s husband during a traditional Samoan dance.

“Apparently, she is known to be a bully, and other artists have confirmed this,” he said.

“This is the reason why we are pressing charges. It’s not only because it’s my daughter, but so it doesn’t happen to anyone else in the future,” 

According to Sammy Atoa, the artist slapped and punched his 18-year-old daughter, even though she had no serious injuries. 

"It’s not right to lay your hands on anyone, whatever the reasoning,” he said 

Atoa also confirmed that Robyn Akari was removed from the Samoa Vibes concert line-up because of the incident.

“That is the reason Samoa Vibes organisers pulled her off the show.”

When asked to confirm this, Robyn Akari responded, “Yes, and I will sue them to pay me for not going to the Samoa Vibes. I will get my lawyer,” she said. 

She declined to comment further, saying the matter is now in the hands of the authorities.

No official comment has been provided by the Samoa Vibes organisers. However, according to those who attended the concert, Robyn Akari did not perform on the night of the show.

The Police Commissioner was contacted for comment but has not yet responded.















By Andrina Elvira Burkhart 08 July 2025, 9:30PM
Samoa Observer

Upgrade to Premium

Subscribe to
Samoa Observer Online

Enjoy unlimited access to all our articles on any device + free trial to e-Edition. You can cancel anytime.

>