PREMIUM

Nafanua II salvage success

By Matai'a Lanuola Tusani T - Ah Tong 15 September 2021, 12:00AM

The Nafanua II patrol boat has been successfully salvaged and towed away from the Salelologa reef after being stranded on the outskirts of Savaii for just over a month. 

Members of the public in Savaii witnessed the operation on Thursday afternoon with a barge towing the badly damaged vessel ashore that is now docked behind the Salelologa wharf.

The $30 million  patrol boat is expected to leave Samoan waters this week for Australia for repair. 

It was not possible to get a comment from the Ministry of Police and Prisons on the latest development.

However, a team from Australia worked together with local authorities and volunteers began their operation last week Thursday to salvage the vessel.


In a recent interview with the Deputy Police Commissioner, Auapaau Logoitino Filipo he said if the operation goes as planned the $30 million boat will likely leave this week. 

He said a barge will be used to test if the Nafanua II can be towed to Australia.  

“If it’s successful and goes according to plan the actual operation will begin on Friday and we will move the vessel to the wharf [in Salelologa] in preparation to return to Australia,” he said. 

The National Emergency Operation Centre had issued a public notice last week restricting public access to the northern part of the Salelologa wharf.  

“This is to allow for the use of heavy machinery and equipment that will be deployed for the salvage operation of the Nafanua II patrol boat,” the notice states. 

“To ensure public safety, entrance to the car park or fishing within this area is temporarily suspended and will be closely monitored by the Police. 

“All vessels travelling on the Apolima Strait, and fishermen planning to fish in the vicinity of Manono Island, and nearby areas are requested to stay clear of the cordoned off area where the salvage operation will be undertaken.”

The officer-in-charge of the Nafanua II on the day it ran aground off Salelologa, Superintendent Taito Sefo Hunt has been suspended from duty pending an investigation into the incident. 

He has also been slapped with five disciplinary charges of misconduct as a result.

By Matai'a Lanuola Tusani T - Ah Tong 15 September 2021, 12:00AM
Samoa Observer

Upgrade to Premium

Subscribe to
Samoa Observer Online

Enjoy unlimited access to all our articles on any device + free trial to e-Edition. You can cancel anytime.

>