Sogi family rejects deadline
An elderly Sogi resident, Nanai Liu Tokuma, has a message for the Government and the Samoa Land Corporation (S.L.C.).
“Don’t threaten my family saying the Police will come and remove us from Sogi,” he writes.
“This is our land left to us by our ancestors. We are not going anywhere.”
Nanai made the point in a written response to a story titled (“Sogi families given final deadline”) published by the Samoa Observer last Wednesday.
The story quoted the Chief Executive Officer of S.L.C., Ulugia Petelo Kevesi, who said the Sogi families have until the last day of 2019 to relocate.
“They have to leave by the 31st of December,” Ulugia said.
Asked what they would do if the families still do not move by the deadline, Ulugia said they would be removed.
But Nanai said their family would not budge.
"I will not accept the ultimatum you have given our family,” he said,
“That is final. I am saddened that you have resorted to making threats against my family.
“Is it because I am not as smart and I am a no one that you make threats that the Police will remove us from our family land?”
The response from Nanai is the latest in the ongoing battle between his family and the Government over the land in question at Sogi.
In his response, Nanai continued to question the Government’s decision. He demanded that the Government provides proof the land at Sogi belongs to them.
He also reminded Ulugia and S.L.C. that from 1933 to 1960, there was no electricity in Sogi.
“It wasn’t until 1960 when our family put in the electrical poles in Sogi and we paid for it,” said Nanai.
He urged Ulugia to do his “homework” and look at the history of the land in question.
“I believe you don’t know the reality behind the Sogi land,” said Nanai. “That is why I will not accept your ultimatum as you don’t know what you are talking about.”
He also asked them to show some respect as “we are not kids.”
Last week, Commissioner of Police, Fuiavaili’ili Egon Keilsaid the Police will not evict anyone unless they are given instructions from the Office of the Attorney General.
“We will act, but only within the lines of the law and to date there have been no legal documents allowing us to move in and remove those families,” Fuiava said.