Bluesky’s seventh birthday smiles
Press release and photos from Bluesky
Bluesky celebrated its seventh year in Samoa last month.
In the spirit of celebrating its establishment, Bluesky highlights 50 milestones achieved over a rich history of hard-work, passion, perseverance and investment.
Bluesky’s history shows trail blazer milestones in technology and the Telco industry, and there is a clear track record to show this.
During their corporate function last Friday, Bluesky Samoa’s Country Manager, Alex Abraham, shared:
“I want to take you on a journey through time - through our yesteryears, and share with you our vision for today, our plans for tomorrow and a view of our brilliantly connected future,” he said.
Here are 50 Reasons to partner with us:
1. 1999: Samoa Post & Telecoms Department split in two entities - Ministry of Post & Telecoms and Samoa Communications Ltd.
2. 2001: First Fibre network installed in Upolu.
3. 2002: Samoa Communications becomes SamoaTel and the first Fibre network in Savaii installed.
4. 2002: Public phones system launched.
5. 2004: Wireless Local Loop (WLL), the 1st GSM technology launched.
6. 2005: First ever VOIP services in Samoa launched.
7. 2005: Sponsorship of Miss Samoa commenced.
8. 2004: Established new SamoaTel building.
9. 2006: First GSM (Global Systems for Mobile Communications) sites built.
10. 2007: GSM network launched.
11. 2009: SAS 1Gbps Undersea Fibre Cable lands in Samoa and SamoTel signed up as the first customer.
Bluesky Samoa Ltd
12. 2011: Bluesky Samoa launched with spectacular fireworks display in the harbor.
13. 2011: 1st advanced 3G Network in Samoa launched.
14. 2012: Moana TV launched
15. 2012: UB40 Concert for Samoa’s 50th Independence Celebrations.
16. 2013: 10x more towers built and more advanced 3G sites erected.
17. 2013: Sponsorship of Manu Samoa 7s commenced
18. 2015: Bluesky established Coverage in Tafua Tai Village. Today Bluesky is still the only Telco with coverage in Tafua Tai.
19. 2015: Bluesky established Coverage in Saletele. Today Bluesky is still the only Telco with coverage in Saletele.
20. 2015: All Blacks and Manu Samoa Game at Apia Park Sponsorship.
21. 2015: Miss Samoa - 2 year Sponsorship.
22. 2016: Bluesky established Coverage in Uafato. Today Bluesky is still the only Telco with coverage in Uafato.
23. 2016: Ford Ranger Birthday Give Away.
24. 2016: Samoa Cancer Shave it or Save it Sponsors.
25. 2016: Toyota Hilux Christmas Give Away.
26. 2016: Reached 50,000 customers.
27. 2016: 4G network built, 10 x sites commissioned.
28. 2017: 4G and 4G Plus officially launched – 40 x sites with 4G Coverage. Samoa.
29. 2017: First Video Mapping/ Laser Light Show in Samoa.
30. 2017: Fiji, Lapi Mariner, Ben Vai and Brown Hill Concert.
31. 2017: Bluesky established Coverage in Salimu and Musumusu. Today Bluesky is the only Telco in those villages with coverage.
32. 2017: Ford Ranger Give Away.
33. 2017: Netball Samoa sponsorship – Bluesky commits $100,000 to Netball Samoa.
34. 2017: Bluesky Launches MyBluesky App.
35. 2017: $30K Cash give away for Bluesky Birthday.
36. 2017: S.V.S.G. Sponsorship.
37. 2017: Samoa Cancer Society and Pinktober Sponsorship when the town clock went Pink.
38. 2017: Faataua Le Ola Sponsorship.
39. 2017: Fibre Upgrade of local network transport whichnow gives up to 10 times more capacity and speed around Upolu.
40. 2017: SAS Undersea Fibre Cable upgraded to 10Gbps.
41. 2017: Bluesky Market Dominance declared by the Regulator in 8 out of 9 categories.
42. 2017: Bluesky Commits $5Million Tala to Manu Samoa 7’s.
43. 2018: Launched VAS category for the first time – SMS Games and Caller Tunes.
44. 2018: Toyota Hilux ‘Newest Car’ Give Away.
45. 2018: Unlimited Broadband launched.
46. 2018: Launched Prepaid Landline with WIFI capability.
47. 2018: In Scope - 100% 4G upgrade for all Bluesky Sites.
48. 2018: In Scope - Grow VAS portfolio.
49. 2018: Tui Cable Connection and sign up launched as part of our birthday month in April.
50. 2018: Continue to build our Number 1 Network.
“Bluesky’s vision to be the most recognised and preferred company for connecting Samoa and Pacific communities.
As you can see, Bluesky has done some pheonomenal work. We have achieved some significant, history-making milestones and continue to reach for the Sky.
Today, I make a commitment to all of you – we here at Bluesky are going to continue to work super hard to make your lives, your homes, your departments, your businesses and your future an exciting and brilliantly connected one. We want to help bring your businesses to life and breathe inspiration, ideation and possibilities into your imagination to connect your dreams, your purpose and your vision to reality.
Because Sky’s The Limit and we believe that 100%! We are your team and your partners. Our sincerest and heartfelt thank you to each and every one of our customers for your loyalty, your support and your patronage,” closed Mr Abraham.
Prime Minister Tuilaepa Sa’ilele Malielegaoi supported Bluesky’s Corporate event as guest of honour and guest speaker. He headed straight to the event from the airport right after arriving back into the country last Friday evening.
“Bluesky has grown from strength to strength and has made a massive contribution not only to the Telecommunications and I.C.T. industry but also to the Economy, with over $43 Million injected annually,” he said. “This includes a $7.5 Million Tala Annual contribution to Government. The latest being, connecting with the Tui cable in April…”
Bluesky’s vision connects well with the vision of the Government to connect Samoa “…where every child and person can benefit from the full potential of I.C.T. and where every citizen…can exercise their right to access, use, create and share information.”