Severe fish poisoning lands family of seven in hospital
A couple and their five children are fighting for their lives at the Tupua Tamasese Meaole Hospital after a severe case of food poisoning on Sunday.
The family was admitted on Sunday evening following their toanai where they consumed fish.
The incident was confirmed by officials at the hospital who did not want to be named. It was not possible to get an official comment from Police yesterday.
“The family includes an eleven-year-old, six-year-old, four-year-old, two-year-old and a one-month-old baby,” a health official said.
“I can confirm that they all suffered from food poisoning after they ate a fish during their Sunday lunch.”
The case, according to the official, was a severe one and the family is lucky.
“The baby is believed have been poisoned from the mother (through breastfeeding).”
The source said the family started feeling sick a little later after eating the fish on Sunday afternoon.
“From what they have been able to tell us, the name of the fish was a a’u and one of their families gave it to them,” the official said.
“For now, they have been treated and are still under close monitoring at the hospital to see their progress.”
The official used the opportunity to warn members of the public to be cautious.
“We should be cautious when buying fish for consumption during these times,” said the official.
“I thank God no one died, they’re very lucky to be alive.”
Fish poisoning symptoms usually occur within 1 to 24 hours of eating a toxic fish.
These include: vomiting, diarrhoea and/or abdominal (stomach) cramps, headaches, fatigue and fainting, joint and muscle pain, tingling around the mouth, fingers and toes burning sensation or skin pain on contact with cold water, extreme itchiness and coma in severe cases.