You like to move it, move it
Physical activity is vital for staying healthy and making sure you can still engage in meaningful activities throughout your day.
With the busyness of life, it can be quite easy to forfeit meaningful movement for work or family commitments or simply just resting.
However, you don’t always have to choose one or the other, there are 50 ways to incorporate more movement in your life:
1. When you first wake up, start the day with an active stretch
2. Take the stairs instead of the lift
3. Set hourly alarms to stand up and take a short walk
4. Find a nice spot away from your desk to eat lunch
5. Start a group physical activity at work (e.g. walking together after work)
6. Use a standing desk
7. Park further away than normal so that you take more steps to get to work
8. Stretch your wrists and hands after typing out emails
9. Watch videos while standing up instead of sitting
10. Practice “pulling your string” to improve your posture at your desk
11. Do a couple of body weight squats while waiting for your meeting to start
12. Use your water bottle for bicep curls
13. Find an exercise buddy at work
14. Walk around or march in place while on the phone
15. Go for a short walk during your lunch break
16. Increase the speed of your walking
17. Stretch in between episodes while watching TV
18. Get up and grab a glass of water during commercial breaks
19. Fidget more!
20. Plan hang outs with friends that include physical activity
21. Do some lunges while waiting for the jug to boil for a cup of tea
22. Break up your physical activity into 10 minute intervals
23. Join a gym or gym challenge
24. Do calf raises while brushing your teeth
25. Help your family with the gardening (if you’re not already doing so)
26. Walk to your work colleague’s office to have a face-to-face meeting instead of an email
27. Use a basket instead of a cart at the store
28. Move your bin away from your desk so you have to walk to it
29. Play with your kids more often
30. Organise a walking meeting instead of sitting
31. Reduce couch time, sit on the floor instead of a couch
32. Keep a tennis/stress ball at work to squeeze during the day
33. Stand while waiting for appointments
34. Walk into a restaurant instead of using the drive through
35. Have a 3-minute dance break during the day
36. Prepare workout gear the night before so you’re more motivated the next day
37. Carry your stuff with you in your bag throughout the day
38. Print out quotes that motivate you to move more and stick them around your desk/home
39. Do multiple trips when unloading the car after shopping
40. Do some light tidying up when waiting for your computer to start up
41. Move your legs while sitting at your desk
42. Challenge your balance and try standing on one leg
43. Skip to places instead of walking
44. Use a foam roller to roll out tight areas of the body
45. Offer to help when you see someone moving heavy things
46. Download an app that will track your daily step count
47. Plan a reward after physical activity – treat yourself!
48. Keep a yoga mat by your desk to remind yourself to stretch
49. Follow social media accounts that promote physical activity
50. Stretch while winding down for the night before bed
The author is a physiotherapist and can be contacted at Alec’s Health Specialist Centre on telephone 28303.
COVID-19 is here to stay
"Like an unwanted house guest who disrupts our routine, we all must find ways of l...
By Enid Westerlund • 28 March 2022, 5:40PM
Compassion is free
"If the man was a member of parliament or a faifeau, would they have received the ...
By Enid Westerlund • 30 March 2022, 11:00PM
CrossFit, Strength and Conditioning and Physiotherapy
"The best diet and exercise program ever, is the one you can stick with. Find exer...
By Eliana Viali • 01 April 2022, 10:36AM