St Mary's dominate in Netball League victory
St. Mary's has maintained its undefeated record in the PFL National Netball League with a strong, 46-23, win over Fagaula Alliance in the latest round of the tournament at the Netball Gymnasium, Tuanaimato.
What started out as a pretty tight tussle became quite difficult for Fagaula Alliance once St. Mary's settled into their work and got the combinations working.
Both teams made unforced errors but it was St. Mary's who capitlised when they had opportunities to put goals on the board.
St. Mary's Coach, Monalisa Tofilau, said she was relieved with the result and there were areas of their game she was quite pleased about.
"I'm happy with the win and I thought it was a good win," she said.
"We still have a have a few things that we need to work on for our next opponent but for today, we'll take the win and we'll enjoy it."
But the win came at a price with one of their key players, Geraldine Taefu, injured. Taefu is one of the players selected to play in the U-21 national team.
"I am not sure about her condition now with her leg but I hope it's nothing serious," Coach Tofilau said.
"She is one of our best players. Here at the St Mary's sports club, we develop our young players, hence why we mixed the young and new with the old ones, so when they substitute they are aware and understand how the other one plays or operates in the game. Our youngest player is 14 years old."
The A-Grade shield remains with St. Mary's Sports club.
And the results for the PFL Nationa netball league are as follows:
- SCOPA Taimane 4 - Oriana 4
- Marist 9 - United Soulz 1
- Collegiate 25 - SCOPA Taupou 0
- United Soulz 6 - Oriana 3
- Marist 24 - SCOPA Yellow 0
- Collegiate 18 - SCOPA Black 2
- St Mary's Sports Club 26 - Marist 4
- Vailele EFKS 27 - St Marys Sports club 23
- SCOPA Segaula 30 - Oriana 12
- SCOPA 20 - Marist 17
- United Soulz 47 - St Mary's Sports club blue 9
For the Shields, Hyundai keeps their shield by winning 23 - 17 United Soulz, and St Mary's Sports Club remains with their shield too by 46 - 23 against Fagaula Alliance.
- St Marys Sports Club 18 - SCOPA Tapuitea 15
- Marist 19 - Collegiate 12
- SCOPA Aniva 53 - Marist 28
- Apia East Flames 44 - Collegiate