ADVERTISEMENT

Tufulele teen electrocuted

A young man from Tufulele was electrocuted by a mobile phone charger early Thursday morning that saw him getting rushed to hospital.

Francis Faalili, 21, in an interview with the Samoa Observer said he left his phone to charge the previous evening Wednesday and woke up early Thursday to find the phone battery on 20 per cent. 

He said he did not switch on the power before going to sleep and when he reconnected the charger to the mobile phone he got electrocuted.

"I charged my phone with the phone charger plugged to a wire extension before I slept. I woke up around four in the morning and unplugged the charger and checked my phone," he said.

"I had just connected the charger to my phone again when a bolt of lightning struck and I was electrocuted."

Mr Faalili said when he was electrocuted, his body became numb for about a minute, before he jumped out of shock which woke up his family who then asked what happened. 

"My family woke up because they heard me and they asked what happened, and so I told them what had happened. My aunty called 911 for an ambulance. I was already covered in blankets at that time while waiting for the ambulance.”

When the ambulance arrived at the house, Mr Faalili was taken into the vehicle for the ride back to the Leulumoega hospital. 

According to Mr Faalili, the doctor who attended to him said he was lucky he wasn’t electrocuted by an electric light bulb wire, which could have been worse.

Bg pattern light

UPGRADE TO PREMIUM

Subscribe to Samoa Observer Online

Enjoy access to over a thousand articles per month, on any device as well as feature-length investigative articles.

Ready to signup?