New Zealand registers sixth coronavirus case
New Zealand has recorded its sixth case of the coronavirus, local health authorities confirmed on Saturday afternoon.
Speaking at the Auckland City Hospital on in the early afternoon local time, the C.E.O. of Waitematā District Health Board, Dr. Dale Bramley, confirmed the country's latest case.
"The sixth case of C.O.V.I.D.-19 has occurred in New Zealand," he told assembled reporters in a press conference that was streamed live.
"Health officials received confirmation of that case last night.
"The man concerned has recently returned from the United States of America."
Dr. Bramley said that the man, who is in his sixties, had returned on Friday 6 March feeling well but went to a doctor last Thursday as he began to suffer from flu-like symptoms earlier that week.
He had received word from friends in America that they may have been exposed to the virus, Dr. Bramley said.
"The man is currently doing very well and is at home recovering; he does not require any form of hospitalisation," he said.
The man's wife is also undergoing self-isolation, Dr. Bramley said.
Auckland health authorities are undergoing the process of informing people who came into contact with the patient.
On Sunday the patient attended at service at the St. Mary's Church in Papakura,
"The priest will be talking to his congregation tonight and tomorrow," Dr. Bramley.
"We expect the vast majority of people who attended that service will be viewed as casual contacts. It's important to note that the man was not symptomatic at that time".
Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said on March 9 that a total of 2000 New Zealanders remain in self-quarantine.
A total of 19 New Zealand nationals are in Italy, where the virus' rapid spread has led to the closure of all commerce except pharmacies and grocery stores.