The Latest: Suspect in campus shooting had quit classes
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — The Latest on a fatal shooting at a North Carolina university (all times local):
A spokeswoman for the University of North Carolina at Charlotte says the suspect in a shooting that killed two students and wounded four others had withdrawn from classes and was no longer enrolled as a student.
UNC-Charlotte spokeswoman Buffy Stephens said Wednesday that suspect Trystan Andrew Terrell withdrew from school earlier this year. Campus police said they disarmed and arrested Terrell in the classroom where the shooting happened Tuesday.
The university said the dead are 21-year-old Riley Howell of Waynesville and 19-year-old Ellis Parlier of Midland.
Wounded were 20-year-old Sean Dehart of Apex, 23-year-old Emily Houpt of Charlotte and 19-year-old Drew Pescaro of Apex.
Also shot was 20-year-old Rami Alramadhan of Saihat, Saudia Arabia. UNC-Charlotte Chancellor Philip DuBois said in radio interviews Wednesday that the freshman student's father is coming from Saudi Arabia.
A university chancellor says the two people killed and four wounded in a campus shooting were all students.
University of North Carolina-Charlotte Chancellor Phillip Dubois said in radio interviews Wednesday that the two people killed were a 19-year-old from Midland, North Carolina and a 21-year-old from Waynesville, North Carolina.
He discussed the victims in interviews with WFAE and WBT. The spellings of their names couldn't immediately be confirmed.
The four wounded ranged in age from 19 to 23. Three were from North Carolina and one was from Saudi Arabia.
A shooting that killed two and wounded four at a North Carolina university left students scrambling for shelter and prompted fresh calls for ways to keep campuses safe.
A vigil was planned for Wednesday on the campus of the University of North Carolina-Charlotte, where the shooting on Tuesday upended the last day of class. The governor vowed a hard look at what happened in order to prevent future shootings.
Gov. Roy Cooper, a Democrat, told reporters that students should not have to fear for their lives on campus. He added: "In the coming days we will take a hard look at all of this to see what we need to do going forward."