EPC worker accidentally slipped, electrocuted

The Electric Power Corporation (EPC) has confirmed the death of its late employee, Tevita Amituanai, was caused by the deceased accidentally slipping and getting electrocuted.

This was advised in an official statement released by EPC relating to his passing. His death occurred on March 27 at Alafua, Tevita while he was working on a low voltage distribution network. 

“It is with great sadness that EPC regrets to announce the sudden passing away of one of its employees - the deceased is Tevita Amituanai aged 22 from the village of Vaitele and Salailua," said the statement. 

“He was part of the five linemen team including a supervisor that attended the upgrade works on its low voltage distribution network.

“At around 3:00pm on Wednesday 27th March 2019, while working on its low voltage distribution network at Alafua, Tevita accidentally slipped and was electrocuted,” said the statement.

According to the General Manager of EPC, Tologata Tile Leia Tuimalealiifano, “Tevita’s death has come as a shock to the whole Corporation, and that this incident is an unfortunate and tragic accident.

 “Tevita had his full safety gear on when the accident happened, however, it is quite tragic that this has happened to one of our own.

“From investigations, the logistics of the work site where he was working and with reference to statements obtained from witnesses, Tevita slipped from the ladder and accidentally touched the live wire while attempting to conclude the works on the Low Voltage Power Pole he was working on. 

“The weather condition of light showers and wind towards the end of their work has not been ruled out as a contributing factor,” said Tologata.

Tologata said given the sensitive nature and circumstances surrounding the death of their worker, the organisation's first priority was to assist his family as well as his work colleagues. 

“And also his working team in coming to terms with his passing and reminding the employees of Safety Policies and Procedures.  

 “There are no words to comfort families when a loved one dies, especially so sudden however, it is never the Corporation’s intention to put the lives of its employees at risk. 

“Safety procedures and measures for their protection at all times is of paramount importance to EPC, given the nature of these works. As tragic the situation, EPC yet again reemphasises the priority for safety of its technical staff at all times while providing the services to the country, continues.” 

Staff of EPC offered their sincere condolences to Tevita’s mother, grandmother, family and friends.  

Bg pattern light


Subscribe to Samoa Observer Online

Enjoy access to over a thousand articles per month, on any device as well as feature-length investigative articles.

Ready to signup?