The Regulator writes
RE: ARTICLE OF 12 APRIL 2017 “CABINET MINISTER DOWNPLAYS CONFLICT OF INTEREST CLAIM
1. I write to clarify a matter that have been published in your newspaper on 12 April 2017, namely:
“Skylite is in the process of doing a project with the office of the Regulator. These are government projects. Were they tendered and how transparent was the tendering process?”... the Office of the Regulator is under his portfolio so it’s conflict of interest.”
2. My office engaged the services of Skylite productions for our awareness campaign in 2015, a campaign that was planned since 2014 but the delay was due to budget constraints; however the Honourable Minister Afamasaga Lepuia’i Rico Tupai was only elected as the Minister of Telecommunications in 2016.
3. My Office has always followed the normal procurement procedure for Government; and the same process was done before Skylite productions was selected to produce our advertisement. Skylite’s offer met the criteria set by my office during the evaluation process in 2015.
4. I trust that this issue is clarified; Please note that it would have been best for your newspaper to seek a comment from my office before you published the article above.
5. I trust you will extend this courtesy to my Office for future articles. Should you require any clarification please contact my office on telephone 30282.
Ma le faa’aloalo lava,