Time for some gingerbread
For this week’s Culinary Corner, Sheraton Samoa looks to display at their town property a bit of background on what gingerbreads are made of and recipe for baking a mouthwatering masterpiece.
Gingerbread refers to a broad category of baked goods, typically flavoured with ginger, cloves, nutmeg or cinnamon and sweetened with honey, sugar or molasses. It ranges from a soft, moist loaf cake to something close to a ginger biscuit. Sheraton chefs will help you cook up a tasty Christmas treat with their very own recipe.
Director of Food and Beverage for Sheraton Samoa Aggie Grey’s Hotel and Bungalows, Lukaz Nowakowski, lists below the ingredients and recipe for a perfect gingerbread.
• 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour, spooned into measuring cup and leveled-off
• 2 teaspoons ground ginger
• 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
• 2 teaspoons baking soda
• Scant 1/4 teaspoon salt
• Pinch freshly ground black pepper
• 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
• 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
• 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened but still cool
• 1 large egg
• 1/3 cup molasses
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, ginger, allspice, cinnamon, cloves, baking soda, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
2. Using an electric mixer, beat ½ cup of the granulated sugar, brown sugar and butter until light and fluffy, 3-5 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Add the egg and beat for about 20 seconds, then scrape down the sides of the bowl; add the molasses, mix well and scrape down the sides of the bowl again.
3. Add the dry ingredients, and then mix on low speed until just incorporated. Do not over mix. The dough will be very soft; refrigerate it for about one hour, or until firm enough to roll.
4. Set rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
5. Place the remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar in a shallow bowl. Form the dough into 1-inch balls and roll in the sugar to coat. Place the balls on the prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart (they will spread), then flatten slightly with your fingers. Bake for 10-14 minutes, until set and golden on the outside and slightly soft on the inside. (As they bake, they will puff up and then flatten. Do not remove them from the oven until they are flat.) Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes, and then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely. Refrigerate the dough between batches. The cookies will keep for several days in an airtight container.
Share those beautiful treats with someone special, available in Sheraton Aggie Grey’s Christmas Shop.