Fa’afafine Association new Executive
PR - The Samoa Faafafine Association Inc. held its Annual General Meeting recently at the S.T.A Fale in Apia to once again reminisce on achievements of the past year and plan future activities to progress the positive impacts of the association on the communities of Samoa.
Around 70 fa’afafine both young and old were present including members of the Fa’afafine Advisory Council, Moefaauo Tanya Toomalatai and Leu Carol Bansé, who offered words of advice on the changing times and the need for fa’afafine to get an education/training, and contribute positively to the development of their families, communities and churches.
Health was also another big focus for this year’s A.G.M, with members urged to take care of their health and get tested regularly for Non Communicable Diseases, HIV Aids and other Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs). Results have shown that there has not been any confirmed case of a fa’afafine in Samoa having contracted HIV Aids, and the SFA aims to keep it that way. The National Health Services provided free health checks for all the fa’afafine participants and members of the public, under total confidentiality.
The SFA is proud to present its Executive Committee for the years 2017-2019:
• President, Sooalo To’oto’oalii Roger Stanley;
• Vice President, Liuanna Ah Fook;
• Treasurer, Faamanatu Nancy Tikeri;
• Secretary, Keyonce Lee Hang;
• Youth Representative, Mr. Keli Tuatagaloa,
• Events Co-ordinators, Ms. Alosina Ropati and Ms. Mandy Autagavaia;
• Public Relations Communications & Marketing, Mr. Kevin Schuster;
• Savaii Representative, Barbara Wills
• Transmen Representative, Vanilla Ice Heather and,
• Reigning Miss. SFA 2017, Ms. Charlize Leo.
The appointed honorary officers;
• Technical Assistants, Ms. Tuisina Ymania Brown (International) Ms. Vaialia Iosua, Mr. Malaki Iakopo (Regional and National TAs).
• Legal Advisor, Mr. Alex Kerisiano Su’a;
• Human Rights Council Representative, Vaito’a Toelupe.
The SFA President Sooalo Roger Stanley stated, “This is a very diverse executive council, and I am proud to introduce Vanilla Ice Heather as our first fa’atamaloa member to join SFA. It is our hope for this coming year to embrace all the other culturally diverse members of our society.”
Apart from the annual Miss Samoa Faafafine Pageant and the charities that included Home of the Elderly at Mapuifagalele, Oloamanu Correctional Center, Motootua Hospital Paediatric Ward and others, Sooalo promises that the association is planning much more for the coming year. “There are already affiliated fa’afafine groups being formed around the country and providing the much needed outreach into the communities, such as unity, awareness and training on fa’afafine issues. We have an ongoing UNDP Global Fund – Western Pacific Multi Country Integrated HIV/TB Program, and an upcoming International Trans Fund Project for the World Aids Day and 2nd Annual Fa’afafine Week in December 2017. Also keep an eye out for the our Fa’afafine’s Got Talent sponsored by the Taumeasina Island Resort in November 2017 and our many other activities”.
The Samoa Fa’afafine Association wishes its Patron Prime Minister, Tuilaepa Lupesoliai Dr. Sailele Malielegaoi, a speedy recovery and the best of health.