A one-year-old baby from the village of Lauli’i was burnt to death when a house he was sleeping in caught fire last Friday.
Relatives' desperate attempts to pull him out were in vain as the house was fully engulfed by flames.
Contacted for a comment, Acting Police Commissioner, Samoa Mulinu’u Mulinu’u, said the Police are investigating the matter.
He said he would make a note of the Samoa Observer’s questions before returning the call with details. He did not.
When the Samoa Observer visited the family affected yesterday, they declined to comment.
But a relative who did not wish to be named confirmed a one-year-old baby boy was burnt with the house.
The relative said the incident was tragic and the family is mourning the death of the baby.
“The baby boy was sleeping in the house when it happened,” said the relative.
“One of the relatives attempted to run through the flames to get the baby but it was too hot and she got burnt on her arms when she tried that.”
The relative said the incident has left them in a deep state of shock.
“We are not sure how the fire started but the baby was sleeping inside the house while we were at the other house at the back preparing some things for an event.”
According to the relative, the family is trying to find a way to release his body for burial.
The house is located on a hill at Lauli’i next to a church.
There are no other families living up the hill next to the house that was demolished by the fire.
The inferno destroyed the three-bedroom house leaving ashes, charcoals and cement poles behind.