The death of a one-year-old boy burnt to death when their house at Lauli’i caught fire is still under police investigation.
Police Media Officer Su’a Lemamea Tiumalu said the parents could be held accountable for what happened.
“There is a possibility but that all depends on the result of the investigation on how the fire occurred.”
Su’a did not go into details about the incident, but said he will have to confirm with the Criminal Investigation Division on whether the parents have been questioned.
The infant’s body was released by the coroner because he believed there was no need for the baby to undergo a post mortem.
Su’a said they suspect the fire started from a mosquito coil placed next to the baby while he was sleeping.
Su’a said the mother went to Apia to do her shopping and left the baby with her elderly father about 74 years old and her 11 year-old-son.
But before she left she instructed her 11 year old son of what to do while she is gone.
The infant went to sleep and his older brother lit a mosquito coil placed the matches in the bowl where the coil which caused the fire.
The 11-year-old then left their house and went to his neighbors to watch TV while the house was caught on fire.
Su’a said the baby was sleeping in the house while it was on fire.