The coronial inquest into the deaths of two babies at Savai’i early last month has been adjourned after prosecution advised they are yet to get the postmortem results.
The matter went before District Court before Judge Fepuleai Ameperosa Roma yesterday, who asked the prosecution if they got the report from the postmortems that were done on the two toddlers, who died after they were allegedly vaccinated at Safotu.
Constable Richard, in response, advised the court that the police had yet to get the postmortem report and asked for an adjournment in order to get further instructions.
“I have just returned from our office and I am seeking the indulgence of the court to adjourn the matter to four weeks so we can obtain instructions on when we will most likely receive the reports from the postmortem,” he said.
Judge Fepuleai said he has seen briefs of the inquest on file, but it was best that the matter is adjourned so the postmortem results could be presented at the next hearing.
“I’ve seen the briefs of the inquest from several witnesses in the file."
“I think it’s best that we set a date and then have all the witnesses called to appear on that date so we can hear all their testimony on that day."
“The inquest has been adjourned to the 12th of September for the report of the postmortem and be presented in to court,” he said and granted the application.
Lannacallystah Samuelu and Lameko Si'u, both one-year-olds, died after receiving their measles, mumps and rubella (M.M.R.) shots at the Safotu Hospital. The coronial inquest held its first hearing last month in Tuavisi – due to the deaths occurring on Savai’i – but was adjourned and moved to Apia on the request of the families of the deceased toddlers.
The coronial inquest proceedings will resume on September 12.