Several firefighters who were taken to hospital on Monday after battling the blaze caused by the fuel tank that exploded in Matautu are making good progress in their recovery.
Commissioner of Fire and Emergency Services Authority (F.E.S.A), Lelevaga Faafouina Mupo said the firefighters were taken to the Moto’otua hospital for inspection due to the heat and what they inhaled.
According to Lelevaga, the firefighters risked their lives to contain the blaze.
“They weren’t far away because they were trying to cool down the tank that was burnt up and the ones next to it,” said the Commissioner.
“They were taken to hospital to recover and weren’t there for long.” The fire, which started at around 10am, wasn’t put out until around 3pm on Monday.
Lelevaga said the authority did not have the foam right away and had relied on fire trucks from Faleolo Airport that had stronger hoses that could reach the fire from a distance.
Once the fire department from Faleolo arrived, a plan was set to put out the fire using the foam, he added. The Commissioner said the authority have made a proposal to the government for bigger trucks that have electric ladders so they can respond to incidents like the tank explosion on Monday.
On Monday, at least five firefighters were hospitalized as a result of the fire. Some of the workers suffered from inhaling fumes and minor burns at the site.