For 17 years, Tupe Maligi has lived in a rundown shack in Tanumapua.
Despite the condition of her house, she is thankful for her parents-in-law.
She moved all her belongings to her in-laws place because of Tropical Cyclone Gita that struck Samoa in February this year.
Mrs. Maligi is seeking assistance for proper housing materials.
“The house leaks terribly every time it rains but luckily my in-laws live just around the corner. We still live here, but the problem is we cannot stay here during rainy days.
“My children’s welfare is the reason we had to seek refuge at my husband’s family. They are still young and the last thing I need is for them to be ill.
“It is an open Samoan house as you can see and the grass has grown and it is attracting mosquitoes, which no doubt carries diseases.
“We don’t have a lawn mower. That is another problem,” said the 35-year-old.
The unemployed mother of five says their water supply runs perfectly, but not their electricity.
Speaking to the Village Voice team, she shared her frustration with the Electric Power Corporation.
“Our power was disconnected in November and we have already settled our bill in the beginning of March and up until now there is still no power,” Mrs. Maligi said.
“We have called them several times but the power is still not reconnected. So we have been living in the dark for the past few months and it is not easy.
“It is very upsetting because the bill has already been paid for and there are nine of us living together. I feel sorry for my children and also my parents-in-law.”
Mrs. Maligi stated there is only one person who works in their family, and for them getting money to pay their bill was very hard.
“The cost of living has become expensive. The only provider in our family is my husband. He deals with everything while I look after his parents and our children.
“I am not sure how much it cost our family to pay for the electricity bill, but there is still nothing that has been done.
“We need the electricity for many things and it is useful for kids who attend school to do their school work.
“But using candles and kerosene light, we must always be cautious about it because it could burn down the house if we are careless.”