Italy withdraws bid for 2023 Rugby World Cup

AP
By Associated Press, 29 September 2016

ROME (AP) — The Italian Rugby Federation has withdrawn its bid to host the 2023 World Cup.

ADVERTISEMENT

The federation says the decision was based on the expected withdrawal of Rome's bid to host the 2024 Olympics.

Federation president Alfredo Gavazzi says, "Our candidature has always been strictly connected to the Olympic Games bid for Rome 2024 and, as agreed with the government and the Olympic committee, we are unable to provide necessary commitments for us to move forward."

Italy's withdrawal leaves France, Ireland and South Africa in the running for the tournament. The host country will be selected in November, 2017.

Rome's city council is expected to vote down its Olympic bid on Thursday following Mayor Virginia Raggi's rejection of the candidacy last week.

AP
By Associated Press, 29 September 2016

Related Stories


Bg pattern top

Sign in for free to read more stories

Bg pattern light

UPGRADE TO PREMIUM

Subscribe to Samoa Observer Online

Enjoy access to over a thousand articles per month, on any device as well as feature-length investgative articles.

Ready to signup?