Sevens top eight confirmed
Marist St. Joseph's defeated Lupesiliva Sapapalii on the last game of the first day of play in the Marist International Sevens tournament at Apia Park.
Marist triumphed 24 - 15 on Friday evening.
But the result did not stop both teams from making it to the top eight of the tournament, bringing each one step closer to the Cup finals.
In the first half, Sakalaka Simi of Marist scored the match’s opening try for their match and their first-five to add the additional two with his conversion, 7 - 0.
Marist player Alofa Luteru added another five points to the team’s tally on the scoreboard and with an unsuccessful conversion attempt raised the team’s lead to 12 - 0.
It was only 20 seconds later that Marist landed a third try to the left of the goal posts raising the score once more to 17 - 0.
But Sapapalii did not accept defeat easily so despite their deficit. They responded with their first try in the last seconds of the first half, but their conversion was unsuccessful, taking the score to 17 - 5.
Coming back into the second half, Marist opened the scoring with another try which was successfully converted by Moomoo Falaniko, taking the score to 24 - 5.
In the last three minutes of the match Sapapalii made a run for the finish line by scoring two tries to add to their final score but with missed conversions the score line was 24 - 15.
At the end of Friday's play the top eight teams competing for the Cup Finals on Saturday were confirmed.
They were Moataa, Vailima Marist St Joseph's, SCB Apia Maroons, Tepatasi, Ott Constructor Tama Uli, Matniuel Laulii Lions, Faleolo Jets, and BBE Vaiala.
For the women's teams Tepatasi, No Idea, the S.C.B. Apia Maroons, and Aiga Tau Jaws won a spot to compete in the semifinals and a chance to advance to the cup final.
Tepatasi and the S.C.B. Apia Maroons won both their games on Friday.
Undefeated men's teams included the S.C.B. Apia Maroons, Moataa, Tama Uli, and Faleolo Jets.
The full results for the first day of the 33rd International sevens tournament were as follows:
- Tepatasi 10 - Aiga Tau Jaws 0
- SCB Apia Maroons 24 - No Idea 5
- BBE Vaiala 14 - Lulumaivini Ulutogia 12
- BSL Satalo 0 - Moataa 17
- SCB Apia Maroons 33 - Nofoalii 12
- Matniuel Laulii Lions 19 - AST SCOPA 5
- Tepatasi 15 - Pacific Ezy Safotu 0
- Ott Constructors Tama Uli 27 - SSAB Moamoa Roosters 5
- Vailima Marist St Joseph's 17 - Malie Sharks 7
- Lupesiliva Sapapalii 12 - Faleolo Jets 38
- Vailima Marist Angels 5 - Aiga Tau Jaws 33
- Puataunofo 5 - No Idea 42
- BBE Vaiala 17 - Moataa 18
- BSL Satalo 19 - Lulumaivini Ulutogia 17
- SCB Apia Maroons 19 - AST SCOPA 5
- Matniuel Laulii Lions 36 - Nofoalii 0
- Tepatasi 21 - SSAB Moamoa Roosters 7
- Ott Constructors Tama Uli 29 - Pacific Ezy Safotu 12
- Vailima Marist St Joseph's 12 - Faleolo Jets 29
- Lupesiliva Sapapalii 12 - Malie Sharks 31
- Tepatasi 31 - Vailima Marist Angels 0
- SCB Apia Maroons 43 - Puataunofo 0
- Moataa 14 - Lulumaivini Ulutogia 5
- BBE Vaiala 38 - BSL Satalo 5
- AST SCOPA 12 - Nofoalii 7
- SCB Apia Maroons 17 - Matniuel Laulii Lions 14
- SSAB Moamoa Roosters 27 - Pacific Ezy Safotu 0
- Tepatasi 12 - Ott Constructors Tama Uli 14
- Faleolo Jets 29 - Malie Sharks 0
- Vailima Marist St Joseph's 24 - Lupesiliva Sapapalii 15
The last day of the sevens will include a parade and special presentations including the Lifetime and Honorary Award to be presented to Dawn Therese Rasmussen.
Saturday's match schedule is as follows:
- BSL Satalo vs Lupesiliva Sapapalii
- AST SCOPA vs Pacific Ezy Safotu
- SSAB Moamoa Roosters vs Nofoalii
- Malie Sharks vs Lulumaivini Ulutogia
- Tepatasi vs No Idea (women)
- SCB Apia Maroons vs Aiga Tau Jaws (women)
- Moataa vs Vailima Marist St Joseph's
- SCB Apia Maroons vs Tepatasi
- Ott Constructors Tama Uli vs Matniuel Laulii Lions
- Faleolo Jets vs BBE Vaiala