Practical steps to deal with violence in Samoa
We see an ongoing litany of stories in your columns, many stories about the Victim Support Group, sexual assault, incest and the ongoing family assault convictions. I could go on!
However, one of the main reasons for violence is because children are exposed to violence when they are quite young.
Part of this could be the result of child “beatings”, watching violent cartoons, of which there are many on our local Television and, the perpetuation of boxing of which the aim is to legally hammer the crap out of your opponent.
What sort of message does that send to children when they see their parents yelling, “Hit him again”! Perhaps the Government or it’s appropriate departments could:
1. Have all violent cartoons removed from television.
2. Stop the screening of violent movies before 10pm
3. Carry out an audit of ALL the video rental shops and ensure that they do not carry pornographic or excessively violet movies.
4. Have the Internet Service Providers block access to sites that show pornography.
5. Have the Internet Service Providers block access to sites that allow down load of pornographic movies.
6. Have the MESC begin courses for ALL teachers on Ethics, Integrity and honesty. These two subjects should then be pointedly disseminated to ALL students at least once every day. I am not pushing the religious angle just ethics, integrity and honesty!
The mechanics of doing all of the above would be up to the appropriate agencies but, this a start MUST be made.
But then again, who cares.