Residents shocked to find burning van
A white van belonging to the Malua Printing Press mysteriously caught fire on Sunday while being parked at Tamaligi Vaisigano.
Tama Aneseko, who lives within the vicinity of the incident site, said the vehicle had burst into flames from the inside with officers from the Fire and Emergency Services Authority (FESA) later arriving on the scene to contain the blaze.
He told Samoa Observer that there were no passengers in the van when the fire started.
"We were just around the area when we heard some shocking noises around the area and when we got there, it was just burning and luckily no one was inside or around the vehicle," he said.
"The first thing we looked at was if there was someone hurt and luckily no. The firemen got to the vehicle early and put out the fire before it got worse."
The fire from the van did not affect the residents who lived close by, according to Mr Aneseko, though they had the fire when it started inside the van.
Attempts by the Samoa Observer to get comments from the Malua Printing Press management and the F.ES.A were unsuccessful.
By 3.30pm Sunday afternoon, the vehicle was still at the scene of the incident with residents asking if its owners knew of its burning.