Thirteen male convicts granted parole
Thirteen convicts who applied to be released on parole have had their applications approved by the Parole Board.
This was confirmed by the Ministry of Justice and Courts Administration Chief Executive Officer, Moliei Simi Vaai, who said the decision was made last Friday. All the successful applicants are male.
From the 56 applicants, 18 were declined, said Ms. Vaai. Five other applications were withdrawn and 17 have been deferred until the next Parole Board sitting.
Another applicant who had asked to leave the country has been denied. Two other convicts have been recalled to serve their full term.
The C.E.O. said only one person who was granted parole was serving their life imprisonment.
She did not reveal who the person is and what the terms and conditions of his release was only to say needed to confirm if the information can be released.
The parole sitting was delayed from December last year due to the State of Emergency for the measles epidemic.
Under the Prison’s Parole Board Act 1979, offenders serving a one-year sentence or less are released with no parole conditions.
All offenders serving one year or more, apart from those sentenced to life imprisonment, are eligible to apply for parole at one year or after the expiry of one half of the term of the sentence – whichever period is longer.
Prisoners who have had a death sentence commuted to life imprisonment (i.e. murder) must serve 10 years before being eligible for parole.
Inmates who are serving life imprisonment (i.e. rape and manslaughter offence) must serve 8 years before being eligible for parole.