ADVERTISEMENT

Fire demolishes family home at Aleisa

The Fire and Emergency Services Authority (F.E.S.A.) has cautioned the public to unplug all electrical appliances before leaving home.

The message comes from F.E.S.A's Deputy Commissioner, Tanuvasa Petone Mauga, after a house at Aleisa was burnt to the ground on Friday.

From their initial assessment, he said there were no signs of foul play.

They suspect that an electrical device could be responsible and have referred the matter to the Police for an investigation.

"Normally in similar incidents, it’s a result of an electronic device such as an iron, kettle, hair straightener,” he said.

When the team from this newspaper arrived at the scene of the fire, the home owners were not there. 

Tanuvasa said the Fire Commissioner, Lelevaga Faafouina Mupo, alerted them to the fire when the smoke became visible in the sky. 

“We received the fire alert from our Commissioner who was in the area as well as other firefighters who called it in and the team responded with two fire trucks," he saud. 

"And by the time they got there, it was too late.

“You can actually tell by the color of the smoke and how thick it was to know that it was a fire that needs to be put out. We can differentiate the difference between certain fire smokes."

Tanuvasa is urging the members of the public to be cautious at all times.

He said they need to create a checklist to go through before leaving the house.

Bg pattern light

UPGRADE TO PREMIUM

Subscribe to Samoa Observer Online

Enjoy access to over a thousand articles per month, on any device as well as feature-length investigative articles.

Ready to signup?