No one charged over grenade, filed referred to Attorney General
No one has been charged yet in relation to the grenade discovered in Salelologa, Savai’i, forcing the Police to seal off part of the road last month.
This was confirmed by Deputy Police Commissioner, Papali’i Monalisa Keti. She added the file has been referred to the Attorney General’s Office.
Emails sent to the Attorney General, Lemalu Hermann Retzlaff were not responded to by press time.
The grenade was discovered by Customs during their regular checks inside one of the cargoes belonging to a resident of Palauli, Savai’i.
Upon inspection at the freight forwarding company, Seki Works Ltd, Customs found the grenade and alerted Police about the discovery.
Police sealed off part of the road in Salelologa on a Monday as investigation was underway. The road was later re-opened on Friday the same week after police tested the grenade and did not go off.
The closure of the road resulted in traffic being diverted where travellers had to use alternative route to the other side.
In a recent interview with a family member of the woman that owns the cargo, Tui Timoteo Rea, he said the grenade was a souvenir of a retired military man married to his sister.
He said the grenade was never intended to be packed in the cargoes bound for Samoa.
“She did not know the grenade was in the boxes, they were souvenirs kept by her son from his father who was a former military person,” he said.
“She is moving to back to Samoa and the boxes which my brother in-law packed had the grenade in it and without knowing it was there.”