Fire destroys family home

By Ilia L. Likou 18 March 2016, 12:00AM

An electrical fault is suspected to have caused a fire, which destroyed a family home at Pesega yesterday. 

The family could only look on as their properties went up in smoke yesterday.  

Tenant, Nafanua Tonumaipe’a, said they suspect the fire might have been started by a faulty electrical wire.

 “Me and my husband were still at work this afternoon when we received a call from a relative about the fire,” she said.

“We are very lucky that our three children were with my grandparents at Vaimoso when the fire destroyed our house.”

Despite the loss, Mrs. Tonumaipe’a is grateful that no one was injured.

“It’s hard to accept what’s happened because we’ve just moved to this house last December with our children,” she said.

“When we first moved in, it was just the house. We worked so hard to buy everything we could for our family…but it’s all gone.

“We lost everything...I mean everything.”

“It’s devastating…”

It was not possible to get a comment from the Fire and Emergency Services Authority yesterday. 

By Ilia L. Likou 18 March 2016, 12:00AM

Trending Stories

Samoa Observer

Upgrade to Premium

Subscribe to
Samoa Observer Online

Enjoy unlimited access to all our articles on any device + free trial to e-Edition. You can cancel anytime.