Development starts at grassroots level
The Samoa Rugby Union Development team started it’s programme this year on the big Island of Savaii last week where selected Primary and Secondary schools from Itu o Tane were visited.
The S.R.U. Development team aim to get students and coaches to understand the importance of basic skills required in rugby such as passing, catching, tackling and rucks.
The Development team is also being supported by World Rugby “Get into Rugby “(GiR) and the Australian “ Pacific in Union (PiU)” led and conducted this program.
The programme aims to;
- introducing and developing the kids with basic skills of rugby
- realizing and emphasizing the importance of the core values of rugby in order to become a great rugby player on and off the field.
- to encourage players of all ages to Try, Play and Stay in Rugby
- promoting the values of the game and ensure children are encouraged to try rugby in a safe and progressive environment.
- the discipline and pathways required to become an elite athlete
“Get into Rugby” (GiR) program is part of the World Rugby strategy to grow the game globally and the “Pacific in Union” (PiU) program is an Australian program in partnership with Oceania Rugby aimed to improve lives in Pacific Island communities through Rugby.