Tourism awards recognise excellence
The first Samoa Tourism Excellence Awards held at Taumeasina Island Resort last Saturday has been hailed a tremendous success.
The evening was opened by Prime Minister Tuilaepa Sa’ilele Malielegaoi who said the judges for the different categories involved some 11,084 visitors who were randomly interviewed and responded to the survey conducted at departure lounges over the period of 10 months in 2016.
“Tonight is about acknowledging the finalist and the winners of the tourism excellence award who have been recognised by visiting guests for the memorable experiences that they have enjoyed on our shores,” he said.
“With the warmth and caring services offered to them by the tourism business owners and operators and staff members.
“Tourism is the mainstay of our economy and we have selected to continue progressing sustainable tourism as we have stated in the tourism sector plan and vision that by 2019 Samoa will have a growing tourism sector.
“The awards will encourage our tourism stake holders to champion tourism and hospitality objectives of the Samoa Tourism Strategy 2016- 2020 and promote a nation pride and smile.”
The award was divided into 12 categories:
1. BEST CAR RENTAL - Blue Pacific Car Hire
2. BEST TAXI STAND – Magik FM 98.1 Taxi Service
3. BEST ELEI UNIFORM – Ministry of Revenue
4. BEST AIRPORT TRANSFER – Aga Reef Resort
5. BEST BAR & HANGOUT – Edge Cocktail Lounge
6. BEST CULTURAL ENTERTAINMENT – Saletoga Sand Resort & SPA
7. BEST TOUR OPERATOR – Coconuts Beach Club Resort & Spa
8. BEST ATTRACTION SITE – Robert Louis Stevenson Museum
9. BEST RESTAURANT – Paddles
10. BEST HYGIENE – Amoa Resort, Savaii
11. BEST ACCOMMODATION – Sea Breeze Resort
12. NATIONAL TOURISM EXCELLENCE AWARD – Sea Breeze Resort