Election eligibility challenges today
The Supreme Court will set a hearing date for an eligibility challenge being brought by Lotofaga’s Member of Parliament, Fiame Naomi Mata’afa, against her lone General Election opponent today.
The challenge against Fiaola Iosua Lole, citing a traffic conviction, was supposed to have been heard on Wednesday.
Lawyer Helene Wallwork Lamb appeared to represent the M.P, who is also the Minister of Justice and Courts Administration.
Fiaola Iosua Lole at the Court.
The matter was adjourned from Monday to allow the respondent to file a response to the motion before the Court.
On Wednesday, however, there was no response.
The Chief Justice, His Honour Patu Tiava’asu’e Sapolu then gave strict orders for a response to be filed by yesterday afternoon.
The Court then adjourned the matter to be mentioned again today along with eight other eligibility challenges.
Electoral Challenges 2016
• Tuilaepa Sa’ilele Malielegaoi vs Tuula Kiliri Tuitui
• Tuisugaletaua Sofara Aveau vs Acting Electoral Commissioner and Fuatimau Maumea Leniu
GAGAEMAUGA No. 2
• Seuoti Sheryl Muagututiavs Acting Electoral Commissioner and Semau Faamau Levi
GAGAIFOMAUGA No. 3
• Laauli Polataivao Leuatea vs Faaulusau Rosa Duffy
PALAULI LE FALEFA
• Faumuina Tiatia Liuga vs Tagaloa Dr. Pita Alailima
ALEIPATA ITUPA I LUGA
• Amituanai Fagaivalu Samu and Alii ma Faipule o Lalomanu vs Leo’o Dr. John Adams
• Amituanai Fagaivalu Samu vs Fualaau Taula Sini
• Leota Seiuli Seufata and Alii ma Faipule of Solosolo vs Leota Leuluaialii Ale and the Acting Electoral Commissioner