Voters urged to register
The Acting Electoral Commissioner, Faimalomatumua, is again reminding members of the public who are 21 years and over, who did not register during the General Election in March, to register.
A list of seven hundred people, who did not register during the general election from the Office of the Electoral Commission, was advertised in the media urging people to do the right thing.
However, even after the advertisements, there are still people who have not turned up.
In an email from Faimalomatumua, he confirmed that, as of Thursday last week, out of 700 names that were advertised, 524 have registered already.
“Some of these people came on their own before their names were advertised while most of them were on the lists we advertised,” said Faimalomatumua.
According to Faimalomatumua, from the 524 people who registered already, 253 are females and 271 are males.
Faimalo said that there has been an improvement since the last General Election in 2011 in terms of the participation of males.
“If we compare this number to the number of people register in the same period after the 2011 General Elections, only three males turned up to register then.”
He added: “I haven’t got with me the exact number of those being served with charges for not registering but they are scheduled to appear before the Court on 21st of this month for mention.”
Lastly, he urged the members of the public to come in and register to avoid being charged.
“We continue to respectfully urge the members of the public who have already turned 21 years old to come in and register,” he said. “It won’t take more than ten minutes but if you are charged and convicted, you’ll be paying up to $4000.”