Firefighters recover at hospital
At least five firefighters working for the Fire and Emergency Services Authority (F.E.S.A) were hospitalised yesterday as a result of the fire at the fuel tank.
While it was not possible to obtain an official comment from F.E.S.A, a firefighter who spoke to the Samoa Observer said some of their colleagues suffered from fumes and minor burns at the site.
The firefighter said they heard the big bang and they were alerted when the wharf siren went off.
“We saw it from the station,” he said.
When the firefighters arrived, they evacuated everyone on the wharf and secured the area.
“Our focus was safety. But some of our team members had to be evacuated to the hospital due to the heat and the fumes from the tank.”
The firefighter added that they suspect the fire could have started by a man who was welding the knots near the vent at the tank.
The firefighter said they had to get foam from the Airport firefighting trucks to put out the flames.