No postmortem for baby killed in inferno

By Lanuola Tupufia – Ah Tong 04 November 2016, 12:00AM

The one-year-old boy burnt to death during a house fire at Lauli’i a week ago does not need to undergo a postmortem to confirm the cause of death. 

During the Police press conference yesterday, Police Spokesperson, Su’a Muliaga Tiumalu said the Coroner had decided there was no need for a post mortem. 

Although Su’a could not confirm whether the body of the baby was released to the family, he explained there was no reason for police to hold on to the child’s body. 

Last week, Su’a stated that the fire is suspected to have started from a mosquito coil lit by the baby’s older brother. 

He said the 11 year old boy was instructed by his mother to light the mosquito coil once his baby brother goes to sleep. 

“The mother went to do shopping in Apia and left the baby with her elderly father about 74 years old on Friday last week,” said Su’a.  

“Before the mother left she had instructed a boy to light up the mosquito coil when the baby goes to sleep while the elderly father had gone to do some chores at the back. 

“However the boy lit the mosquito coil and placed the matches in the bowl where the coil was placed and the matches caught fire. The boy reportedly left the house to watch T.V. next door while the fire spread to pillowcases, bed sheets and the entire house.

A relative said the incident was tragic and the family is mourning the death of the baby.

“We are not sure how the fire started but the baby was sleeping inside the house while we were at the other house at the back preparing some things for an event.”

By Lanuola Tupufia – Ah Tong 04 November 2016, 12:00AM

Trending Stories

Samoa Observer

Upgrade to Premium

Subscribe to
Samoa Observer Online

Enjoy access to over a thousand articles per month, on any device.

Ready to signup?