Joseph Parker to defend title against Hughie Fury at Manchester Arena on September 23
- Bout will be Parker’s first in the UK
- Parker’s second defence of WBO World Heavyweight Boxing Title
- Fury is the Mandatory number one challenger to the title
- It will be Parker’s second bout in Europe after fighting on the Wladimir Klitschko undercard in Germany in 2014 and fifth outside NZ
- Hughie Fury will warm-up for the title shot with a ‘keep busy' bout in London next Saturday. Joseph Parker and Kevin Barry will be ringside.
JOSEPH PARKER – WBO Heavyweight Champion
I’m very much looking forward to this fight. It’s been a long time coming but the contract is signed thanks to my promoter David Higgins and I am ready to get going.
In the contact is what we want and David has worked very hard to get the contract sorted and now that it’s ready and the date is confirmed., we’re looking forward to going over to the UK and making a statement and putting on a great show.
The idea of going to the UK is something I am looking forward to, and no I don’t hold any grudges (about Fury not coming to NZ on May 6), I just go in there respect my opponent and do what I have to do. That’s go in there and win the fight and defend my title and keep it here.
The crowd against me? I will use it as energy and motivation to put on a great show and fight hard.
I know there will be a lot of supporters for him (Fury) but I know I back myself and put on a great show, and hopefully get him out of there.
HUGHIE FURY – Mandatory Number One Challenger
I’ve never had a close fight. I’ve won every round of every single fight.
I’m going to let my fists do the talking and I’m going to take his belt home with me.