Stench shuts school

By Lanuola Tusani Tupufia ,

1278 Hits

Marist Brothers School at Mulivai.

Marist Brothers School at Mulivai.

Marist Brothers School at Mulivai was forced to close early yesterday. 

The decision was made for health reasons, the School Principal, Tualasea Kalala Samuelu told the Weekend Observer.

A foul smell alleged to have originated from the burnt Chan Mow Wholesale at Togafuafua forced the closure.

Tualasea said call was a precaution for the health of the students.  

While students were already dropped off early in the morning yesterday by parents, the teachers gathered the students at the hall before they were dismissed.

“The foul smell is inside the classrooms affecting students,” said Tualasea. 

“It’s not just the classrooms on this side (near Chan Mow) the wind is carrying it around affecting the whole school. 

“So we gathered the students this morning in the hall and decided it was not safe to continue school with the smell.

“We made a decision to close school early…their parents were contacted and some teachers were able to provide transport and take other children to the bus stops.”

 Asked when the school will resume, the Principal said the students have been informed to return to school on Monday. 

“If the smell is still bad on Monday then we will have to make another decision then,” said Tualasea. 

She added that the Ministry of Health had been informed about the stench and had assured they will be down at the area to investigate. 

There are 687 students attending the Marist Brothers School.

The stench is alleged to come from burning meat from the fire that ruined the wholesale on Monday. Other businesses nearby are also affected by the foul smell. 

Some employees from the nearby businesses were seen wearing masks at work.

© Samoa Observer 2016

Developed by Samoa Observer in Apia