Mozzie coil suspected in fatal Lauli’i fire

By Lanuola Tupufia – Ah Tong ,

829 Hits

Police Spokesperson, Su’a Muliaga Tiumalu

Police Spokesperson, Su’a Muliaga Tiumalu (Photo: File)

An inferno that burnt a baby to death at Lauli’i last week is suspected to have started from a mosquito coil lit by his older brother. 

Police Spokesperson, Su’a Muliaga Tiumalu revealed the details of the incident that killed the one-year-old boy during the Police weekly press conference yesterday. 

Su’a said the older brother, 11-years-old, was instructed by his mother to light the mosquito coil once his baby brother goes to sleep. 

 “The mother went to do shopping in Apia and left the baby with her elderly father about 74 years old on Friday last week,” said Su’a. 

“Before the mother left she had instructed a boy to light up the mosquito coil when the baby goes to sleeps while the elderly father had gone to do some chores at the back.

“However the boy lit the mosquito coil and placed the matches in the bowl where the coil was placed and the matches caught fire. The fire spread to pillowcases, bed sheets and the entire house. 

“It’s confirmed that the baby’s cause of death is from severe burns.”

 According to Su’a, police is awaiting advice from doctor whether to release the body of the baby or be referred to a post mortem. 

He added the matter will be dealt with by the Coroner to decide if a person will be charged in relation to the death of the baby based on the evidence presented to Court. 

Police is continuing their investigation. 

A relative said the incident was tragic and the family is mourning the death of the baby. 

“We are not sure how the fire started but the baby was sleeping inside the house while we were at the other house at the back preparing some things for an event.”

© Samoa Observer 2016

Developed by Samoa Observer in Apia