The Chief Executive Officer of the Electrical Power Corporation (E.P.C.), Tologata Tile Tuimaleali’ifano, has offered condolences to the family of an eight-year-old boy who was allegedly electrocuted from a faulty electrical wire at Tuaefu on Sunday.
Tologata has also confirmed that they have launched an investigation in connection to the death.
“I am now waiting on a report from our post in Vaitele on the said matter,” he said.
“It’s a very serious issue at hand so I cannot comment until I see the report."
“I also understand the Police have launched their investigation.”
Tologata said the E.P.C. wants to get to the bottom of the matter as soon as possible.
In the meantime, he said: “We would like to offer our sincere condolences to the family. We are investigating the matter.”
According to reports, the boy was electrocuted when he came across faulty wires from Cyclone Gita on the side of the road.
Tologata could not comment on the reports until they complete their investigation.
Last week, Tologata had issued a stern warning for members of the public who have low electricity lines to be cautious.
“We will conduct a follow up soon, however we also depend on the families to report any wiring faults they come across.”
According to Tologata, they have proposed to the Attorney General’s Office to consider drafting a Bill to ban planting of trees next to electricity poles and lines.
“This law is mainly for the safety of the public because there are cases where families cut down a tree and it falls on a line, they will eventually call us.”
“Members of the public need to know that there is a huge impact of trees falling on electricity poles, in some cases, there is a possibility that this one tree will eliminate the power for the whole district.
“Yet families don’t really consider the impact until something goes wrong,” said Tologata.
The family of the deceased boy declined to be interviewed.