A strategic partnership was forged when the Young Women Christian Association (Y.W.C.A) Samoa hosted a fun and energetic Fana LEE Zumba session last Saturday at Travellers Point Hotel.
New comers were registered and after a vigorous Zumba session, the young women heard from Enid Westerlund, the founder of Samoa Sinnet Fashion Show.
Enid Westerlund blessed YWCA members with some pointers on her continuing “road to greatness” journey.
According to Enid, being successful includes: “Being your own Boss and being content in whatever you do”
Some of Enid’s tips included:
1. Putting God first in everything you do, we are living in a Christian country but having a personal relationship with the Lord will lead you and guide in everything you do. It is very easy to say put God first but people don’t actually do it.
2. Strive for Perfection and remember that the greatest revenge is Success! Even when you are “crucified” keep striving and don’t give up on doing good for others. Just stand up and keep going after failure, criticism and unfairness, because all of these are a part of life.
3. Honor your parents as long as you live. This is a very Samoan concept but also a Bible principle. During your youth one thinks little of our parent’s advice, but later in life one realises how true their advice is.
4. Education must be a priority. She reminded : “Young girls, you can have as many relationships and boyfriends once you finish school and you don’t always need to be a degree holder to be successful but a qualification can help to give you the opportunity to rise up to a level where you are highly recommended and can reach out to a lot more people.”
6. Be blessed whenever you are. There’s no reason to feel bad or discouraged if you’re a housewife, gardener, unemployed, etc because it is not the end of the world. There’s so many things we can achieve if we do something rather than sitting around.
7. Value yourself and make wise choices about your relationships with young men. “There are many guys out there but God has that one man ordained for you. So remember don’t be in a rush” For working girls, she stated that time management is really important, and most importantly be content at where you are. Sometimes being straight forward in business dealings is what is most needed, with an attitude of guarding your heart .
8. Leadership takes courage and not something we choose at times. “It can also be a lonely road , you will stand alone at times and sometimes there’s a team who share your visions, but at the end of the day, when you lie in bed it’s just you”
9. Use technology and social media wisely. Be aware that one comment or photo can reach 1,000 people and be shared by tens of thousands more people. So use social media for good purposes and know that it is a very powerful platform to be used for good.
10. Remember, one Dream can lead to another. Enid’s dream like any good Catholic girl was to be a nun, but then she took a full science course and dreamed of becoming a pilot and now, she has turned her dream to fashion designing and she has her own label, ENARA.
The Founder of the Samoa Sinnet Fashion Show then shared why she decided to use the word
“ SINNET” in the name of the Fashion show. “It’s because it takes many strands, many talents, many people with different skills to put a fashion show together.”
Enid explained the hopes and dreams for SSFS17 and then called for YWCA members who would like to help with writing, blogging, photography, modelling and general organisation to make the show a reality.
Some YWCA members volunteered to write, some to be photographers for the show and others will give their time to assist in various ways.
The opportunity for YWCA to partner with SSFS has opened several doors of opportunity for young women to be exposed to a big event and be mentored by a young Christian entrepreneur. From there, members will build their own dreams to become the best they can, in the future.
Enid also shared some interesting bible verses that have provided inspiration for her :
“Deuteronomy 31:6 Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble in dread before them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not fail you or abandon you.”
1 Tim 4: 12 Let no one look down on [you because of] your youth, but be an example and set a pattern for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, and in [moral] purity If you live a blameless life it’s hard for anyone to criticize you.
The greater revenge we need to have on other people is SUCCESS. You will face opposition but that’s fine you just have to deal with them in the right way.
YWCA of SAMOA acknowledges Travellers Point Hotel for the beautiful venue and also Fana Lee Zumba for their continuing support.
The YWCA of SAMOA is open to any girl or woman aged 16 upwards and includes young single, married mothers and those who would like to mentor and inspire the young women of Samoa. Refer to our FB page for more information.