N.Z. turns down Parker, Duco to ask Samoan govt. for money help

5635 Hits

SAMOA BACKS SAMOAN: Lupesoliai Joseph Parker with P.M. Tuilaepa Sa'ilele Malielegaoi with his WBO Heavyweight Champion belt in Auckland last year.

SAMOA BACKS SAMOAN: Lupesoliai Joseph Parker with P.M. Tuilaepa Sa'ilele Malielegaoi with his WBO Heavyweight Champion belt in Auckland last year.

The New Zealand government has turned down Lupesoliai Joseph Parker's promoters for sponsorship, TVNZ reported last night.

The decision follows trainer Peter Fury being denied entry into New Zealand for the W.B.O. world heavyweight title fight in May.

Tourism New Zealand has said "no" to backing the Auckland bout on May 6, after also turning down a funding request from DUCO Events for Parker's title bid last December.

DUCO's founder David Higgins says the fight will still go ahead without Peter Fury being in son Hughie Fury's corner and without New Zealand funding.

"We're never going to give up and so we put in an application again that we thought met the criteria," said Higgins.

He says he believed their funding application met all the criteria.

"We received a letter just to say no there won't be any support. Of course we are disappointed but that's life, they make their judgements, so be it."

Higgins confirmed they'll now approach the Samoan Government for backing again. 

Samoa tourism chipped in a six figure sum to support Joseph Parker's title bid last December.

Hughie Fury's cousin, Tyson is still expected here for the fight in just over six weeks.

© Samoa Observer 2016

Developed by Samoa Observer in Apia