Three young men appeared before Supreme Court Justice, Leiataualesa Daryl Clarke, on charges of theft and burglary.
They are Fautua Tanoa, Oata Cameron and Popese Junior.
But the prosecution lawyer, Lealofioamoa Mamaia, made an application in relation to one of the defendant, Tanoa because he is 16 years old.
“These are the final charges your honour, however we have an application to make in relation to Mr. Tanoa,” she told the Court.
“We understand that he is a young offender and we ask if his matter can be referred to the Youth Court.”
Justice Leiataualesa asked Tanoa about his age and he replied that he was 16 years old.
“Mr. Tanoa, your matter falls within the jurisdiction of the Youth Court therefore your matter is adjourned to Thursday 22 March, 2018 at 10am in the Youth court. So you are remanded on the same bail conditions.”
“That leaves Oata Cameron and Popese Junior.”
The two defendants pleaded guilty to both charges.
The Police summary of facts that was read out in open Court said: “At Vaipuna on 10 February, 2018, both defendants, Camerona and Popese of Vaipuna, Sataoa, Fasitoo Uta, Safotu and Falefa entered a building of Michele’s shop of Eleitino and Michele Meredith, a female of Matautu and Vaipuna, without authority and committed burglary.”
“The second charge says in Matautu Uta on 10 February 2018, again both defendants dishonestly took:
• $500 in cash;
• One carton of small Red Pall Mall cigarette value at $120;
• Four packet division cigarette at $15 each valued at $60;
• Six small packets of red Pall Mall cigarette at $6.30 each value at $37.80;
• Seven large packets of red Pall Mall cigarette at $12.60 value at $85.20;
• Six large packets of Rothmans at $11.50 each value at $69.60;
• 11 small packets of Rothmans cigarettes at $5.80 value at $63.80;
• 4 cash power cards at $50 each value at $200;
• 16 cash power cards at $20 each value at $300;
• One Bluesky phone credit value at $10, 10 Bluesky phone credit at $5 each value at $50;
• 19 Digicel phone credit at $10 value at $190;
• 35 Digicel phone credit at $5 each value at $175;
• Two chef choice corned beef at $26.90 each value at $53.80;
• One wine value at $25;
• One liquor value at $98;
• One Red Label value at $89;
• One Carlo Rossi White Wine value at $22;
• One Carlo Rossi Red Wine value at $22;
• One Long Flat Wine value at $22;
• Three Cheap Vodka 1125mls at $30 each value at $90; and
• One vodka value at $40.
The total amount of the products stolen amounted to $2323.40 with intent to deprive the owner of the said property, Eleitino Macdonald, a female of Matautu Uta and Vaipuna.
The matter was referred to the Alcohol and Drugs Court for reports because they were under the influence of alcohol when they committed the said crime.