Father’s day today is unlikely to be a very happy one for a family at Tauese.
That’s because they are trying to come to terms with the loss of everything they had when a fire ripped through their home yesterday afternoon, destroying all their belongings.
It was not possible to get an official comment from the Fire and Emergency Services Authority.
But Pio Moli, who was inside the house with his mother told the Sunday Samoan that the fire started from the back of their house.
“I was watching television at the time while my 50 year old mother was sleeping,” he said.
“All I remember is that I heard some loud bangs from the back of the house in one of the bathrooms but I didn’t pay attention to those noises.
“Then all of a sudden, I looked at the back and saw the fire spreading from the roof and that’s when I ran and woke up my mother who was asleep.”
Mr. Moli said they were not able to save much. “The fire was spreading so quickly, I think we’ve lost everything.”
Mr. Moli added that their house is not far from the Fire Station and he feels that their response could have been faster.
“My mother called them and told them that our house was on fire here at Tauese next to them,” he said.
“We rang them three times and that’s when they showed up.
“It’s a bit sad because this has happened before father’s day so it’s a sad father’s day for our family but we are thankful that only the material things were lost but nobody got hurt.”