Church fire caused by an electrical fault – F.S.A.

By Sina Filifilia Sevaaetasi ,

648 Hits

INSIDE OF CHURCH IN RUIN: Quick action by church members and firemen helped minimise the damage to the church hall.

INSIDE OF CHURCH IN RUIN: Quick action by church members and firemen helped minimise the damage to the church hall. (Photo: Deidre Fanene)

The fire at the Peace Chapel Church last Saturday evening was most likely caused by an electrical fault.

That’s the conclusion drawn by the Samoa Fire and Emergency Services (F.E.S.A) after its investigation into the matter.

This was confirmed by F.E.S.A Commissioner, Lelevaga Fa’afouina Mupo, during an interview with the Samoa Observer yesterday.

“We suspect an electrical fault as reported earlier, probably the weather,” said.

The heavy downpour is likely to have played a part, he added, igniting an electrical wire in the building.

According to the Commissioner, the flame was first ignited in the middle of the ceiling in the building and soon caught fire to surrounding flammable objects such as curtains that caused the fire to spread with haste.

Members of the church had just concluded their practice for their Sunday service but luckily no one was hurt during the inferno.  

The Commissioner tips his hat to the fearless team of fire fighters that reacted quickly and arrived on the scene in time to subdue the fire before it could spread further.  

He also thanks the assistance of the church members and neighbours for their cooperation during the incident as well as during the recovery process.  

On a lighter note, the Commissioner has received word that the building was covered by insurance.  

Due to the nature of the ignition of the fire, F.E.S.A suspects there is no foul play but rather an unfortunate incident.  

© Samoa Observer 2016

Developed by Samoa Observer in Apia