A 14-year-old boy has pleaded not guilty to a charge of murder in the Supreme Court yesterday.
The charge against the boy whose name is withheld follows a dispute over the use of mobile phone credit that sparked an attack that killed a 16-year-old boy from the village of Samusu-tai last month.
The accused teen appeared before Chief Justice, His Honour Patu Tiava’asue Falefatu Sapolu, yesterday. He was represented by lawyer, Semi Leung Wai.
Lawyer, Lucy Sio, appeared on behalf of the National Prosecution Office.
During the brief hearing, Mr. Leung Wai informed the Court that his client had been in custody since the 8th of May 2016 and he asked the Court for bail since he is still a student.
Ms. Sio did not oppose the application but asked that strict conditions be applied.
The accused was then granted bail yesterday but was told to surrender any travel documents to the Registrar, sign in at the police headquarters every Monday and Thursday and not to set foot in Samusu again.
A student of Maluafou College, he was told to stay with his uncle at Vaipuna.
The matter has been adjourned for hearing on 20th March 2017.