Police probe A.T.M. theft

By Pai Mulitalo Ale ,

889 Hits

Two Chinese men are still in Police custody in relation to the ATM theft which was reported to the Police last Wednesday evening. 

This was confirmed by the Police media officer, Su’a Lemamea Tiumalu during the weekly press conference last week. 

According to Su’a, there are three suspects involved in this matter and all of them are originally from China. 

“We have detained two of them, but we are working closely with Interpol to locate another of the suspects who has already left the country,” said Su’a. 

Su’a said the bank had provided footage from their security cameras to identify the three suspects involved. 

“They were working in one of the restaurants in Matautu-Uta which was where we arrested two of them.” 

“We also searched the place and found a card making machine in the garbage which confirmed the incident,” added Su’a. 

Su’a said they are placed under a holding charge of theft but there is a possibility more charges could be filed upon the completion of their investigations. 

The two accused are aged 30 and 32 years of age and are scheduled to appear on the 12 September for mention before the Supreme Court.

Acting Police Commissioner Afamasaga Michael Soonalole confirmed that the suspects are new in the country. 

He said the Police are working closely with the Chinese Embassy in the  handling of this matter. “We have seized their passports and their travel documents so that they cannot leave the country but we are still trying to locate the one who has already left the country,” said Afamasaga.

© Samoa Observer 2016

Developed by Samoa Observer in Apia